Sliding Scale Rates
The fee for the oven is based on a sliding scale to make it accessible for all. This is a community oven and is run as a not-for-profit, but there are a number of costs associated with it such as insurance, safety and cooking equipment, and most significantly, a paid volunteer-coordinator in which to make sure everything runs smoothly. (For 2019, our expected costs, including costs associated with bookings, are $18,028.)
We encourage people to pay it forward, pay what they can, understanding that all money collected goes back into the maintenance of the oven, to help pay for the coordinator, or else create funds to help in the running of community programming.
When choosing the price for booking, consider:
Your income and what you can truly afford
- Your ability to help those less fortunate than you
- The size of the group coming to use the space
- If you are a business owner, consider profitability, and how much you can give back to the community.
- How you can help make the space more accessible for others
- How this will help the make this sustainable.
Again, the oven is meant to be accessible to all. By paying more for the booking (if you can), you are helping to keep the cost of the oven low for the rest of the community.