Bookings & Open Ovens
Open Oven or Booking?
Whether you are visiting for an Open Oven or a Booking, planning your trip to the Front Street Community Oven will help ensure fun for all. Reviewing the information on this page is important, especially for first-time visitors.
Choose Open Oven if you:
- Plan to cook pizzas, or easy-to-roast items that require/can tolerate higher temperatures
- Don’t need a specific date and want to join the community
- Open ovens will be Saturdays from June 28
Choose Bookings if you:
Need a specific date
- Plan to cook pizzas or;
- Plan to cook other food items that might require a different temperature (bread, desserts etc.). We can work towards having the oven the correct temperature for what you are doing.
- Bookings are 3 hours time slots.
- You are welcome to enjoy the surrounding park before, during, and after your cooking time.
- Booking the oven guarantees priority use; however, the oven is also open to the public during this time. We use a numbered ticketing system to give priority to those that have booked the oven.
- Ideally, plan to be there on time, or a little early, to get settled and oriented. The Fire Master will focus on the booking group for the first hour of the booked time slot.
- Clean-up is the responsibility of the booker and must be completed within the 3 hour time slot.
What we Provide
- Several picnic tables are located around the oven.
- 3 large stainless steel countertops for food preparation with room to fit 9-12 people preparing food at a time.
- Pizza peels large enough to make 10-12 inch pizzas.
- Running water (June to September only).
- The oven and the wood to heat it.
- Trained volunteers (Fire Masters) to keep the oven fire lit.
* Everything else must be brought by the visitor.
Booking Planning Checklist
Click HERE to view the checklist
The fee for the oven is based on a sliding scale to make it accessible for all. This is a community oven and is run as a not-for-profit, but there are a number of costs associated with it such as insurance, safety and cooking equipment, and most significantly, a paid volunteer-coordinator in which to make sure everything runs smoothly. (For 2019, our expected costs, including costs associated with bookings, are $18,028.)
We encourage people to pay it forward, pay what they can, understanding that all money collected goes back into the maintenance of the oven, to help pay for the coordinator, or else create funds to help in the running of community programming.
- The minimum rate for a 3 hour booking is $40.
- The target price, which where it would make the oven fully sustainable without the need for annual grants, etc. is $125 per booking.
- Anything higher than this goes directly into the sustainability of the oven.
When choosing the price for booking, consider:
- Your income and what you can truly afford
- Your ability to help those less fortunate than you
- The size of the group coming to use the space
- If you are a business owner, consider profitability, and how much you can give back to the community.
- How you can help make the space more accessible for others
- How this will help the make this sustainable.
- The cost to running a not for profit organization (budget link coming soon)
Again, the oven is meant to be accessible to all. By paying more for the booking (if you can), you are helping to keep the cost of the oven low for the rest of the community.
* The options for pricing will be presented during the booking process.
* Payments will be taken through the booking system.
If you would like to pay by cash or cheque, please contact Duncan to arrange for payment: email@example.com
Booking Request Form
* A minimum 3 weeks is required for all booking requests to be processed and scheduled.
- Select the desired date from the calendar
- Fill in your personal information
- Review and accept the terms & conditions, and click submit.
- Expect 3-4 business days to hear back for confirmation.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We will issue a cancellation for weather 12-30 hours in advance of an event if the weather forecast:
- Has a greater than 50% chance of rain, and;
- Rain or snow is expected to be heavy (e.g. not showers, drizzle etc.) or;
- A weather warning has been issued by Environment Canada.
If we need to cancel because of weather, the person who booked the oven will be given a full refund of their booking fee. We will reach out about cancellations as soon as we know.
If you need to cancel your booking request, please do so at the earliest possible time to help us best work with our volunteers and also to allow the opportunity for another group to book the oven.
The minimum time required to cancel your booking and get a refund is no later than 1 week prior to the scheduled booking. Any cancellations less than a week in advance will not receive a refund.
Email email@example.com, or call 1 (902) 692-9421 to cancel your booking or with any questions.