How does Pricing Work?
The fee for the oven is based on a sliding scale to make it accessible for all. This is a community oven and is run as a not-for-profit, but there are a number of costs associated with it such as insurance, safety and cooking equipment, and most significantly, a paid volunteer-coordinator in which to make sure everything runs smoothly. (For 2019, our expected costs, including costs associated with bookings, were $18,028.)
We encourage people to pay it forward, pay what they can, understanding that all money collected goes back into the maintenance of the oven, to help pay for the coordinator, or else create funds to help in the running of community programming.
- The minimum rate for a 2 hour booking is $40.
- The target price, which where it would make the oven fully sustainable without the need for annual grants, etc. is $125 per booking.
- Anything higher than this goes directly into the sustainability of the oven.
- Bookings are 2 hours time slots.
- You are welcome to enjoy the surrounding park before, during, and after your cooking time.
- Booking the oven guarantees priority use; however, the oven is also open to the public during this time. We use a numbered ticketing system to give priority to those that have booked the oven.
- Ideally, plan to be there on time, or a little early, to get settled and oriented. The Fire Master will focus on the booking group for the first hour of the booked time slot.
- Clean-up is the responsibility of the booker and must be completed within the 3 hour time slot.
What we Provide
- Several picnic tables are located around the oven.
- 2 large stainless steel countertops for food preparation with room to fit 2-5 people preparing food at a time.
- Pizza peels large enough to make 10-12 inch pizzas.
- Running water (June to September only).
- The oven and the wood to heat it.
- Trained volunteers (Fire Masters) to keep the oven fire lit.
* Everything else must be brought by the visitor.
We will issue a cancellation for weather 12-30 hours in advance of an event if the weather forecast:
- Has a greater than 50% chance of rain, and;
- Rain or snow is expected to be heavy (e.g. not showers, drizzle etc.) or;
- A weather warning has been issued by Environment Canada.
If we need to cancel because of weather, the person who booked the oven will be given a full refund of their booking fee. We will reach out about cancellations as soon as we know.
If you need to cancel your booking request, please do so at the earliest possible time to help us best work with our volunteers and also to allow the opportunity for another group to book the oven.
The minimum time required to cancel your booking and get a refund is no later than 1 week prior to the scheduled booking. Any cancellations less than a week in advance will not receive a refund.
Email email@example.com, or call to cancel your booking or with any questions.